Tomorrow is December 4th. The International Open Data Hackathon will be taking place around the world. Here in Vancouver, we’ll be contributing as well.
Here are some details:
- This is about having fun and working on something that makes you feel good. If, at any point you aren’t feeling that… then start doing something that does or come talk to me. :)
- Our main goal is to create artifacts that will help strengthen our democracy, be fun to use, or just make life a little better – we want more open data, let’s show the world why it matters.
- Our other goal is to build community, both here in Vancouver, and around the world, so let’s help one another, both in city, and those elsewhere…
- Remember, this is not just for programmers. Any project will need a variety of skills.
- If you don’t think you can do anything helpful, trust me, that is not the case.
- W2/Storyeum 151 W. Cordova (map) in Vancouver
- Phone: 604-689-9896
- 9:30-10am People can start arriving any time after 9:30am
- 10:00-10:30am We’ll be starting at 10am. We’ll begin with brief introductions and give those with ideas an opportunity to share them
- 10:30 Sort into teams. If you haven’t already chosen a project to work on for the day… now is the time.
- 10:30-12:00pm Hacking. Lots here to do for designers, developers, citizens to get materials organized, write copy or code, etc…
- 12:00pm Check in. 5 minutes for teams to share progress, challenges, ask for suggestions
- 12:30-3:30pm More hacking goodness
- 3:30 project update/presentations
Vancouver Hack Space will be opening its doors after the hackathon for people who want to keep hacking over there. Great people at VHS so it should be good…
What to bring & expect:
- A laptop. If you absolutely can’t bring a laptop, please come anyway, there will be things to do.
- We have a number of ideas that can be worked on. If you have one… great! If you are looking for cool people to work with… you’re coming to the right place.
- Ideas that no one wants to work on will be removed.
- We will ask people to vote with their feet, gathering into self forming teams for each project.