This job opportunity came through from Ross W., a very cool looking job indeed. I know the MaRS team is excited about this new development. Contact info is at the bottom. Enjoy!
Director, Social Entrepreneurship
The MaRS Discovery District is seeking a Director, Social Entrepreneurship. Reporting to the CEO, the Director will assemble and lead a team of advisors focused on helping new and emerging social entrepreneurs refine, launch and scale their innovative ideas for creating transformative social change.
S/he will also lead Social Innovation Generation @ MaRS (SiG@MaRS) – a node in a new national network linking MaRS, the McConnell Foundation, the University of Waterloo and PLAN. Finally, the successful candidate will become a member of MaRS’ senior leadership team and contribute to the development and evolution of MaRS itself.
The person hired for this position will leverage MaRS’ expertise and networks in supporting emerging entrepreneurs to develop a new suite of programs and services focused on social entrepreneurship.
Responsibilities will include:
- Liaising with the other SiG nodes to develop a national social innovation network, spanning idea generation, incubation, evolution and expansion
- Building and leading a team with the expertise to help emerging social entrepreneurs test and launch their ideas and strengthen and grow their organizations
- Selecting and coordinating a group of external mentors and advisors to work with emerging social ventures and their leadership teams
- Developing course material/curricula/programming content, and assembling tools and templates that support social innovation
- Creating opportunities to connect social innovators and their commercial counterparts
- Build strategic initiatives in financing social ventures, knowledge transfer, and enabling technology platforms for social change
- Identifying the key organizations active in this field across the country – and internationally – and developing a partnership strategy that includes government and the private sector
- As a young, entrepreneurial organization, everyone at MaRS is expected to be flexible; specific duties/responsibilities will evolve, and staff will be expected to contribute to various projects as needed.
- At least 5 years of experience in the social sector, including roles that involved team formation and leadership
- Entrepreneurial experience either creating or building an early-stage venture
- Knowledge of public policy and a proven ability to work with public, private and third sector partners
- Ability to work both independently and in teams
- Exceptional communications skills, both oral and written
MaRS is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to maximizing the economic and social mpact of Canadian innovation. The MaRS Centre – a 700,000 sf convergence centre in downtown Toronto houses over 65 organizations, from investors and scientists to entrepreneurs and policymakers.