This was sent to me by Michael Roberts who has been doing great work in the Open Data and Open Standards space in Canada. Please check this out:
What: Open Contracting Data Standard: Stakeholder Workshop
When: 31st January 2014 – 9am – 3pm
Where: Hilton Montreal Bonaventure
Hashtag (always required): #opencontractingdata
Register at: http://bit.ly/ocds-stakeholders
About the Open Contracting Data Standards project:
Over the course of 2014 the Open Contracting Partnership (OCP), the World Wide Web Foundation and wide range of stakeholders will be working to develop the first version of a global open data standard for publishing information on public contracts. The Open Contracting Partnership (OCP) believes that increased disclosure and participation in public contracting will make contracting more competitive and fair, will improve contract performance, and will better secure development outcomes. The development of an open contracting data standard is a vital step in joining up data across sectors and silos, allowing it to become truly socially useful. It will result in increased transparency around contracting processes and will empower citizens to be able to hold governments to account.
We invite you to join us on 31st January 2014 for a stakeholder workshop to:
- Explore the goals and potential for an Open Contracting Data Standard;
- Identify opportunities for involvement in the development of the standard;
- Shape core activities on the 2014 standard development road map;
Outline agenda (tbc):
- 8.30am – 9.00 am: Welcome and coffee
- 9.00am – 10.30am: The Open Contracting Road Map
- Including the history of the Open Contracting initiative; an introduction to the data standard project; and an exploration of data standard development so far.
- 10.30am – 10.45am: Coffee break
- 10.45am – 11.45am: Shaping the vision & identifying stakeholders
- Participative small group discussions focussed on outlining short and long-term visions for an open contracting data standard, and identifying the roles for key stakeholders to play in the development of the standard.
- 11.45am – 12:30pm: Ways of working and key issues: an open development approach
- Introducing the collaborative tools available for engaging with the development of the data standard, and identifying the key issues to be addressed in the coming months (the basis for task-groups in the afternoon).
- 12.30pm – 1.30pm: Lunch
- 1.30pm – 3.00pm: Task groups
- Small group work on specific issues, including the future governance of a standard, shared identifiers (e.g. organisational identifiers), data formats, demand side workshops, supply side research and related standards.
Who is the meeting for?
This meeting is designed to provide an opportunity for anyone interested in the Open Contracting Data Standard work to learn more about it. There will be discussions tailored to both providers of contracting data, and users of data, as well as discussions focussed at connecting the Open Contracting Data Standard with related open data projects, including IATI, Open Spending and open data on companies.